Notices

Road to Evo VIII with out turbo!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
sounds like a sweet deal...you're not even due for a t-belt yet...does the engine VIN match the body?!?! 6k...faaaack
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:57 AM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gorugo13
well i bought the car when it was 49k mile (right now its just a lil over 50k) and on my birthday my dad got me a brake change so i dont really think its in that bad of a condition.
That is a really good price for the mileage. My old RA is still for sale at the stealership; $10k with 90k on the odo. Your RA may not be in bad shape, but soon you will need to do the 60k service, which can be costly if you are not doing all the work yourself. I'm just saying that it may be wise to take care of the necessary maintenance prior to transforming your car into an Evo look-a-like.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

this. I'm not opposed to you going for the ricer style...it's not my taste. but if it's done right it can look really good, and if you like it, that's all that really matters...but be aware of what's going on under the hood and mechanically...60k service is a fairly big job, just keep that in mind...it'll be a few hundred dollars, but if you let it slide it could end up costing you thousands...went my timing belt failed it cost me around $900 in parts and machine work...but turned all the wrenches myself...so that's my warning, i've told this story to many members...

read more about it here...not fun...not fun at all

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...d-rebuild.html
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm agreeing with everyone here. Driving a reliable car is more important then a good looking car sitting in your driveway.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

i read this read, typed a message. deleted said message, went away, now came back. ill preface this by saying its ultimately your car. as long as you like the way the car looks and drives, then nothing else matters. no ones opinion, esp some guy on the interwebz (like me). now that ive said that....

So since i saw the body kit on accolade for evo VIII, ive decided to make my RA look as close to evo viii. Im mostly going to change the exterior and interior to make it look like evo viii and ill wait for like turbo and what not for few more years.
this is exactly what is wrong with the tuning industry as a whole. this is why every time i drive my damn car to my office, in a full suit, i have some punk kid in a lancer/civic try to race me... why? that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you said yourself your going to try an make it as close to an evo as possible.

if thats the case, just save up an buy an evo. or, if the insurance is too high, enjoy the RA for what it is. its a great car! looks good, drives good, enjoy it!

your 18...okay. this is your first car...okay. you have no idea what the cost of owning a car is. yes, insurance gas payments etc. but you need to have a cushion. money set aside just in case something happens. you should never have JUST enough to pay for everything you require.

secondly, maintenance. make sure you take it to a mitsu specialty shop, have it looked over top to bottom. sounds like you got a great deal, but there could be a reason for that. pay a shop to check everything, change the fluids, plugs etc. start saving for timing belt etc.

sorry, not trying to burst your bubble. and im hoping you have taken all that into consideration already, and you can install/primer/paint everything yourself w/o it looking like crap. if so, ignore everything ive said except that what you are doing is the definition of ricer. to each their own. gl and enjoy your car.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yea and any opinions from people that have UR SRI and AEM SRI? I saw the youtube video of UR SRI for 09 ralliart and it makes a cool sound (like weak BOV) when you rev up and let go of the gas. idk if that would do it for our ralliarts as well, but it's about the same price so idk which one i should get.

i have the injen SRI on my car...i dont know about a bo valve sound when u let go the gas...but i do know when ur getting up in the rpms close to and past mivec it does have a nice whistle to it but only at WOT...(alsmost bo valve like)...but if ur gonna go turbo...thats just money wasted kuzz the turbo replaces that and it has a real bo valve...

if u look online for the parts and do the work yourself it's around $300(us) for the timing belt parts and shipping..(at least it was for me)..(that's 2 belts, 3 pulleys and 1 tensioner)...might as well do the tstat w/ gasket and coolant (from local parts store) while its all apart, (if u want to change it) and that included getting a new water pump...(and 2 gaskets..i wrongly ordered 2, but it worked out in the end kuzz my new from the box water pump blew up about 5 mins after install, so i had to reinstall the old one using the 2nd gasket)...and remember to do the valve tune while u got it all apart for max performance also...(its due 2x by the time the belts are due)

plus remember to check all your other fluids and suspension parts...ive had to change about 6-7 tierods in my car(all 4 plus repeats), 4 struts and 4 sway bar links...

if ur gonna spend $2k...might as well just mod it like an RA...kuzz even if it looks like an EVO....itll still be an RA and ull still have to mod it like one later...

with your mileage(or kilometrage..?since ur in ca) u probably wont need all that now...but likely u will in the future...kuzz its just RA things....(well minus the tierods...i think thats just my car..)

dont get me wrong, it probably will look cool...
but what about when u want it to move like the evo it looks like, and it doesnt?
ull defenetly be happier with a car that goes almost like a evo..(with or without a turbo)...than with one that looks almost like a evo

just my 2cents....

Last edited by nekkidlad; Dec 2, 2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

maybe, try modding your RA with the exterior being last? So if you have plans for rims, exhaust and suspension, do that first. If you still want to make it look like an evo, do that next. As for suggestions on SRI, I recommend Injen.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

i'll sell you my AEM for a good price...it's red.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
i'll sell you my AEM for a good price...it's red.
hmm how much were you thinking?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

make me an offer
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by cranswick
make me an offer
$50!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

that'll buy you the dry-flow filter
Old Dec 3, 2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
that'll buy you the dry-flow filter
lol well i took your guys advice and kept the money for timing belt and suspension change and what not, so im kinda short on money =[ (savin for uni too)
I can get brand new one on amazon for $160 so ill try that one when i have extra cash.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly is say stay away from the body kits. I have one on my car and its a pain. I'll prob be scrapping it and getting some stock stuff again. Just my two cents.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 02:30 PM

insuring an evo isn't that much difference to a regular lancer...and i live in vancouver evo just got introduced here in Canada so they still somewhat consider it under "lancer" bracket just FYI save your dough and buy an evo I was in the same situation as you 3 years ago i had an 06 lancer SE but now i have an evo x

Quick Reply: Road to Evo VIII with out turbo!