Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

throttle body spacer for the 4g69

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throttle body spacer for the 4g69

Since I have connections with guys at a machine shop. I'll be having someone machine us some throttle body spacers. As far as my knowledge goes since the coolant just runs through the throttle body and not just through the intake manifold both. Running this spacer withought coolant loss is fine. The only thing you'll need for it is two new gaskets and longer bolts. I'm thinking making the spacer about an inch and half thick would give the motor better response I'm not promising 20+ hp just better response. Engine sound. And what else might come with it. I'll try it out first and give Yall my perspective of it. And if Yall want it. I'll get more machined.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Of course we're interested. Post a report
Old Jul 30, 2014, 06:51 AM

Alright as soon as I make a template of our throttle body and send it in I'll keep Yall up to date. I guessing the worse I could pay to make it is around 120 for the material to make a couple of them. I'll try to get one made for a nitrous setup as well.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Yea man, report back when you get something made! Id love to see it. Id been thinking about trying to find a TB and IM spacers a while back and cant find anything from the old vendors. What material will you be making it out of?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:05 PM

I'll be using aircraft aluminum or similar in strength. I'll also powder coat them any color you'd like. The jets for the nitrous are they 1/8th npt? Or what? I have no knowledge of nitrous and how it's setup other than you can run dry shot through the intake and be fine. Which I believe dry shot is much safer than wet shot. Sad to say there's no local dyno shops around me other than atlata and I'm not about to drive that far lol so if someone is willing to be a guinea pig to test them for numbers for me and I can figure out which direction from there to make them better. Helical cuts on the inside of the spacer would help out with atomization of the air and fuel mixture or nitrous if your running it.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Wouldnt you rather make it out of Teflon or Phenolic material so that it doesnt conduct heat and assist in lowering your IAT's? Seems like a metal spacer would simply continue conducting heat and only give you a small amount of extra volume inside the plentum. While a Teflon/Phenolic spacer would do both.

Just a thought.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 01:39 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey while I love the new idea. You guys must be getting rusty, the tb spacer for our cars and any 4g63 is identical. I have had it on my car for years. Now the IM spacer is something to look at making again. I have one from a group buy years ago. Well worth it ,minus the install :O
Old Jul 30, 2014, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good catch, Lanzer.

I agree, phenolic is the best heat insulating material for the IM spacer. Any plastic would be good to minimize heat transfer but the common kinds available in machinable bar or plate forms are not dimensionally stable enough in the environment the spacer will live in - will eventually leak. A glass/graphite reinforced cast resin like some OEM intake manifolds are made of would work but who is going to pay for that tooling? If made out of aluminum, then its doing nothing but adding to the length of the intake which will simply move torque up or down the rev range (can't remember off hand which it would be).

Yeah, the original idea behind an IM or TB spacer is to act as a heat insulator.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:50 PM

Well true it will be adding more length to the intake but you'll need two new gaskets for it one on both sides. Rpw I believe has the thermal gaskets your talking about. The torque range would change a bit but it won't be nothing to be conserned about cause it's not going to be affected that much. The main purpouse other than preventing heat soak in the intake which it happens no matter what you do to the intake to keep it cooler. The heat from the engine will heat up the intake pipe and the the manifold. To really see any significant benefit of cooling off the intake manifold or pipe. You'd have to bring the temp down significantly. The purpous that I am stating for the tb spacer is for more hp and torque. Better engine sound. And better throttle response and for use for dry shot nitrous if wanting it that setup.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:54 PM

And your telling me lanzer that the 4g63 throttle body spacer fits the 4g69 perfectly? If that's the case I must be wasting my time making this?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Phelonic spacers are proven to drop temps on intake manifolds significantly. You have to look at the different types of heat transfer. Yes some heat will transfer by convection simply by being under the hood and near the engine. But a Phelonic spacer will reduce the majority of heat transfer that occurs via conduction. And will further reduce temps in the TB if used there as well, and in conjunction with the coolant line bypass. Aluminum being metal would just continue the process of conduction and garner very little benefit on a a 4 cylinder engine. Maybe a bigger V8 but still it wouldnt be much unless your helping lower temps as well.

Also adding length to the runners of the IM is supposed to add torque based on what Ive learned from engine building books and guides. Although you probably wont see much with a few millimeter thick spacer.

@05LancerRA - Im not trying to tell you not to go ahead with it. Im just stating things for the sake of conversation and discussion. FOR SCIENCE! lol Didnt want you to think I was attacking you or anything.

@RalliartN - I havent heard of any cases in Phelonic spacers failing on the 4g6x engines. I mean I can see how it might since its vertically mounted unlike V8s or flat 4s. But Ive heard of several high hp DSMs that use them. And not seen any failures. Im going to look into that, because I was wanting to make one for my turbo car. Thanks for mentioning it!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 07:31 PM

Thanks for science! Forgotnthe convection part lol. Your right. So if we use phenolic gaskets for the tb if will be fine. Or I could use the same material that the plastic intake manifolds are made if I believe they are High temp abs plastic. Or maybe use ceramic coated steel or aluminum to help with the heat.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 03:48 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05LancerRA
And your telling me lanzer that the 4g63 throttle body spacer fits the 4g69 perfectly? If that's the case I must be wasting my time making this?
Yes and yes
Old Aug 3, 2014, 07:36 AM

Well darn. I thought I was on to something. In glad I gotten this information first before I started this project lol. What part of our engine that we can make that we cant get from either the evo or other cars?

Last edited by 05LancerRA; Aug 3, 2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Will a 4g63 tb spacer fit behind the eclipse gt throttle body?

Quick Reply: throttle body spacer for the 4g69