Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Drivetrain Noise & Vibration

Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
you sure it's the diff?

and yes, i mean the bearing on the axle shaft...
I am pretty sure it's the diff. when i replaced my transmission I used everything from the replacement transmission except the diff. I checked all the clearances on the new transmission and they were in spec, so the only variable i changed was the transmission. (also got new diff bearings)

I don't think it's anything rubbing. I've been trying to figure it out for 5 years. do you have any ideas if not the diff?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Canada_Comp
I am pretty sure it's the diff. when i replaced my transmission I used everything from the replacement transmission except the diff. I checked all the clearances on the new transmission and they were in spec, so the only variable i changed was the transmission. (also got new diff bearings)

I don't think it's anything rubbing. I've been trying to figure it out for 5 years. do you have any ideas if not the diff?
maybe cv joints? my quaife doesn't make any noises...all noises i've been blaming the diff for have all ended up being something else...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

maybe cv joints? my quaife doesn't make any noises...all noises i've been blaming the diff for have all ended up being something else...
I guess that's a possibility, but it doesn't do it when it's above -5c. I've tried doing the tight turns in the parking lot and didn't feel or hear anything. and i shook the shaft to feel the clearance and there isn't anything excessive. I don't think the metal would shrink substantially in the cold to cause excess clearance. but I'll keep it in mind.

the only thing holding me back from getting my CVs rebuilt is that no one here locally stocks them or rebuilds them, and rock auto doesn't have stock of it typically, so I would have to send them out and I can't go 2 weeks without a car..
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

i just ordered mine from rock auto...they had 3 in stock for the driver side...

thing is, once you've gone through a few gears, your transmission is no longer at -5 C, and is it making the noise as the wheel turns due to the movement of the steering rack or is it only while turning but because of the motion of the vehicle...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

i just ordered mine from rock auto...they had 3 in stock for the driver side...

thing is, once you've gone through a few gears, your transmission is no longer at -5 C, and is it making the noise as the wheel turns due to the movement of the steering rack or is it only while turning but because of the motion of the vehicle...
oh yes sorry, I forgot to mention that it goes away after a few turns at -5c. at -35c though it pretty much stays... lol
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

I find that my quaife lsd makes a clackity/ grinding noise when the steering wheel is turned and you step on the gas when it's colder than -5c. kind of sounds like abs but a lot louder, or i guess like sawing something with a coarse tooth saw but louder
Its not your lsd, Dave.. mine does it too. It's a Ralliart thing.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

could be something to do with the CV shafts and aftermarket suspension?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

The answer that the maintenance manager gave me here at northside mitsubishi is that its the grease being cold in the cv joints making the noise. Heh.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

ok, so even though rock auto says they had 3 in stock, they emailed me today saying i had to send in the old part first, and they rebuild it...which can take 3 weeks...so no thanks...since if they "can't rebuild it" i will be refunded anyway and have the broken part return god knows how long after they deem it not rebuildable...stupid...now i'm really considering a base lancer axle...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Crans, what are you after? A rebuilt drivers side CV axle?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, can you hook me up? i got cash...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

okay we're making the calls this morning
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Now I understand your conundrum. Supplier here tried 5 different sources and nothing. I called the dealer and they said they can never find any rebuilt either but then again they've only ever needed to try to get one, these things seem reliable. You got really unlucky with salt corrosion. New one is $1200, have to go thru dealer, aftermarket parts suppliers here cannot get them (damn, even new VW axle thru aftermarket is like $130). Mechanic here asked if there is a supplier of "racing" axles, more robust than stock, that you could call in the USA like the Honda guys do.

Geez...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

George might have something for me...stand by, i've even checked the local wreckers there might be a few in the province...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thomar
Its not your lsd, Dave.. mine does it too. It's a Ralliart thing.
Does anyone else's ralliart do this? maybe it's an edmonton thing..

could be something to do with the CV shafts and aftermarket suspension?
My suspension is stock

Originally Posted by Thomar
The answer that the maintenance manager gave me here at northside mitsubishi is that its the grease being cold in the cv joints making the noise. Heh.
First of all I don't trust the dealership after what they did to my car. I went in to the dealership and explained everything that their mechanic did wrong. The service manager didn't know a thing, and in the end my car was in worse off condition than when I brought it in and I had to spend a lot of time going back to the dealership to get them to fix it...

Second, why would the grease in the cold make it have the noise? grease doesn't turn to rock even at -40. How come every other car doesn't have this problem, or how come Cranswick doesn't have this problem? I call BS

Originally Posted by RalliartN
Now I understand your conundrum. Supplier here tried 5 different sources and nothing.

Yep, like I said, I can't send mine out without having to walk everywhere for almost a month......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Noise & Vibration