Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

2004 ralliart timing belt replacement

Old Mar 10, 2010, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 ralliart timing belt replacement

Hello,

I would like to know for people who made their timing belt how it went? I also have a question regarding tensionner. It says in manual to compress it with special tool and put a pin aligned in holes. If I just unscrew the bolt on the tensionner pulley will all the tension be released? When you'Ve put it back, did you put tension back with the pulley and then release the tensionner? This part seems tricky so if someone has experience on that would be great!

Thanks,
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

just dont be like me and let ur belt snap ill let you know how it goes im doing mine this weekend
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:07 PM

It's not too complicated, but the lack of space kind of slows down the process. Took way longer than I expected it to. Its definitely a good idea to get the MD998738 tool. When you're setting the tension on the belt make sure to have either that tool or the pin giving the tensioner some slack. You have to swing the tensioner pulley over with either right angle needle nose pliers or the other tool they talk about. When it's swung far enough in the counterclockwise direction sock down the bolt for the tensioner pulley. Put the tension back on the belt and make sure it's on tight enough. Good luck and just make sure to get some brews ahead of time in case you can't make it to a store for awhile.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:49 AM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by soulesswarrior
just dont be like me and let ur belt snap ill let you know how it goes im doing mine this weekend
When your timing snapped, how many miles were you at? Also, how do you drive you car? (like a grandma, bat outta hell, etc.?)
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by boomshakalaka
It's not too complicated, but the lack of space kind of slows down the process. Took way longer than I expected it to. Its definitely a good idea to get the MD998738 tool. When you're setting the tension on the belt make sure to have either that tool or the pin giving the tensioner some slack. You have to swing the tensioner pulley over with either right angle needle nose pliers or the other tool they talk about. When it's swung far enough in the counterclockwise direction sock down the bolt for the tensioner pulley. Put the tension back on the belt and make sure it's on tight enough. Good luck and just make sure to get some brews ahead of time in case you can't make it to a store for awhile.
Boomshakalaka, just wondering if the pulley is spring loaded also when you need to swing it or it's loosing it's adjustment when you unbolt it? In other words, does it adjust by itself or you need to pre-adjust it before you pull the pin out?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:52 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cramoisi
Hello,

I would like to know for people who made their timing belt how it went? I also have a question regarding tensionner. It says in manual to compress it with special tool and put a pin aligned in holes. If I just unscrew the bolt on the tensionner pulley will all the tension be released? When you'Ve put it back, did you put tension back with the pulley and then release the tensionner? This part seems tricky so if someone has experience on that would be great!

Thanks,
Yes, you can just unbolt and remove the tensioner without first releasing the tension. That's the way I do it since I replace the tensioner every time I replace the belt. Also, if you don't want to mess with the tool but want to reuse the tensioner, you can remove it, then use a bench vise to slowly compress it, then stick something (like an allen wrench) through the pinhole to hold it.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

to answer your question parrishr13, i would rive the car faster often, it was at just under 117k. when it did pop i was in 3rd gear at about 5k.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:48 PM

Hi Otter, when you put the pin on then when you have the belt installed you just remove the pin afterwards and let the tentionner release by itself?
Thanks,
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:15 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cramoisi
Hi Otter, when you put the pin on then when you have the belt installed you just remove the pin afterwards and let the tentionner release by itself?
Thanks,
Yup
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:28 PM
Hail to the Beard

to answer your question parrishr13, i would rive the car faster often, it was at just under 117k. when it did pop i was in 3rd gear at about 5k.
Damn that sucks, but I'm glad to hear that bc I'm only at 59k and I drive like a grandma! I'm so paranoid that it's going to snap!

Anyone live in the DFW area want to help me out?!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

ok so we got it all taken apart today. took use about 2 hours to pull it apart the main issue you will have taking it apart is the water pump pulley due to how its placed. but it seems that the timing belt isnt what snapped to begin with. the balance shaft belt broke and got caught in the timing belt and tore it all up we still had to cut the belt off as it only broke some pieces off. now the only thing we had an issue with was the mark on the cam gear. we cant see a mark for tdc theres a small paint dot that it could be but i thought there would be a notch, maybe otter or someone could clarify? otherwise everthing so far is going smooth.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:46 AM

ok so we got it all taken apart today. took use about 2 hours to pull it apart the main issue you will have taking it apart is the water pump pulley due to how its placed. but it seems that the timing belt isnt what snapped to begin with. the balance shaft belt broke and got caught in the timing belt and tore it all up we still had to cut the belt off as it only broke some pieces off. now the only thing we had an issue with was the mark on the cam gear. we cant see a mark for tdc theres a small paint dot that it could be but i thought there would be a notch, maybe otter or someone could clarify? otherwise everthing so far is going smooth.
Hi soulesswarrior, I did it too yesterday and it took me around 5hrs going slow. Basic tools would do too so it was pretty easy. For the cam gear pulley, there is a small natch on the side of it. Also, on the water pump pulley, you need to completely remove the side motor mount. You will gain plenty of space. I also used to play with the jacked motor height to gain access on the upper side and lower side.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

well weve come into a snag we got everything lined up propper but the motor wont start. it just cranks like it did when my belt snapped.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:51 AM
Hail to the Beard

did you ever get everything fixed?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Nope we think the valves are bent. Waiting for one of my uncles to drop off the compression test and I'll test it for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 ralliart timing belt replacement