Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

hydrolocking my motor

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy hydrolocking my motor

I am on vacation with my wife in the mountains and I drove thorugh what look like 4 inches of water and my motor hydrolocked. I have a injen cold air and this sucks!!!
I don't know what to do to get it home but if someone does please let me know!!!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I think sucks is a understatement not only are you facing huge towing fee. But your engine is fubar. I would find the closest mitsu and get it in there.

Should always check standing water before crossing
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, that sucks dude!

Will the car start at all? If not, then it's probably hydrolocked. If it does restart, give it some time to dry out.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, thats the first time Ive ever heard of that happening, I wish you the best of luck!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:37 PM

it tried to start once but then didn't. i am going to try to start it agian and then I am going to take the spark plugs out to see if I can get the remaining water out. Wish me luck!!! By the way, I have begun to drink heavely do to this !!!!!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

I got rid of mine for this very reason. I was in Miami during one of the hurricanes and nearly ran into a dip in a Walmart parking lot that would have put the water nearly up to my hood.

When you get this rectified change to a SR. There is not much difference in power and I actually have better mid range. Well that's as far as the butt can tell. It's the peace of mind driving in the rain that is more comforting.

WADAD
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redralli
it tried to start once but then didn't. i am going to try to start it agian and then I am going to take the spark plugs out to see if I can get the remaining water out. Wish me luck!!! By the way, I have begun to drink heavely do to this !!!!!
That's ****ty, better hope that no damage was done to the cylinders/head/pistons. We all know water does not compress (at lease does not compress inside an engine).
Old Nov 25, 2004, 06:24 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This is why I'm glad I didn't listen to all those people telling me that I was wasting my money on a bypass for my CAI.

I hope you don't have any serious damage
Old Nov 25, 2004, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

i had the exact same problem, i feel for you. i didn't hydrolock my motor, but i thought i did cause it would even turn over, i had it towed to mitsu and it didn't ruin my engine or anything. so i was stoked.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

Put you stock intake back on and take it to mitsubishi and say you dont know whats wrong with your car, then prey that they warenty it.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kondo
Put you stock intake back on and take it to mitsubishi and say you dont know whats wrong with your car, then prey that they warenty it.
I feel sorry for him, but what you are telling him to do it's first illegal (fraud) and also jacks up warranty costs for the rest of us and makes it harder for us to get legit warranty claims

-joe
Old Nov 26, 2004, 08:54 AM

No matter what you do man, make sure to let us know how it all turns out? Sorry to hear about that though, hang in there man.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 09:35 AM

does anyone know what the diameter of the rrm cold air is because id like like to buy a bypass valve when i get it or i might just go with the injen cold air. does anyone know where i could find the injen system.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:20 AM

update!!! I took out the spark plugs and turned it over just to see what it would do and woooosh. Water went everywhere. I rigged up a hose that fits inside the cylinder wall and sucked out the water. Then I took off the throttle body and inserted my hose down in the intake and sucked out even more water. The car can turn over so I am hoping there is no internal damage.I have just about all the water out of the motor and am currently letting it dry.

I called my insurance company to see if there is anything they can do and they said an accident like that is covered.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

i am glad insurance is paying..

warranty is to cover manufacter defects.. not accidents like this, no matter how unintentional..

i wish people would understand that

-joe

Quick Reply: hydrolocking my motor